The Office of Faculty Development and Faculty Affairs assists the College with faculty recruitment, hiring, retention, promotion and tenure, as well as professional development activities and awards. Official transmittal forms and deadlines for the University are posted on this site.
The CHPSW Faculty Affairs Planning Calendar contains important information related to faculty members’ academic year responsibilities. Note that the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs sets the final deadlines according to University timelines. Contact your chairperson to determine if there are additional departmental deadlines to which you must adhere.
Chairs are responsible for mentoring and evaluating department faculty members and to assist faculty with their professional development.
A number of University resources are available to assist chairs, including the Teaching and Learning Center, which offers numerous workshops and will also provide one-to-one consultations for faculty to enhance their teaching. There are also grant writing and proposal development workshops sponsored by Temple University’s Research administration.
While these University resources are excellent, peer evaluation and feedback is critical. Each faculty member should be evaluated at least once annually using CHPSW’s Peer/Faculty Evaluation Form.
The following information and links may answer most questions about academic issues/policies:
- Academic Progress Policy for Primarily Freshman & Sophmores
- Course & Teaching Evaluations
- Course Withdraw Policy
- Faculty Office Hours
- Grading Policy: Incomplete Grade
- Inclement Weather/Class Cancellations
- Mid-semester Grades
- Syllabus Requirements
- Temple Library: Putting Items on Reserve
- Temple Library: Copyright Policy on Course Materials
- Workload Guidelines for Full-time Faculty in CHPSW
- Academic Affairs Dates and Deadlines 2012-2013
- Electronic Grade Submissions
- Electronic Student Feedback
Quickly and easily locate faculty member contact info and biographical information
- Faculty Directory – List of all CHPSW faculty by department
- Annual Report of Faculty Activity (ARoFA) -- Full-time faculty members are required to complete an online annual report of your teaching, research and service activity. This report can be accessed in TUPortal using your access user name and password. Faculty must complete their ARoFA in order to be eligible for merit awards.
- Faculty Semester Survey (FARS) – Faculty must complete a FARS each semester -- Each semester, all faculty members must complete this mandated Commonwealth of Pennsylvania activity survey. Faculty must estimate the amount of time spent teaching, grading, advising, and completing research or service/administrative activity throughout the semester.
Graduate Faculty Status
Faculty members are eligible to apply for a variety of awards and honors. Listed below are some of the University and college teaching and research awards that are given on an annual basis. Please review the Calendar for Teaching and Research Awards to determine application deadlines. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs can provide you with additional information related to any of these awards or honors.
The College and University offer resources to assist new, incumbent and adjunct faculty with performing their instructional duties. The Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) provides programs and resources for faculty that are designed to promote teaching methods that are consistent with the research on how people learn. The TLC provides workshops, discussion groups and confidential, individualized instructional consultation services that can assist with any aspect of instruction.
Policies, Procedures & Handbooks
To successfully engage in the research, teaching and service mission of the College, faculty must be aware of a number of policies and procedures that facilitate efficient operations within the College and University, as well as rules of conduct for faculty and students. Listed below are useful resources.
Handbooks, Manuals and Guidelines
- Temple University Policies and Procedures
- Temple University Employee Manual
- Temple University Faculty Handbook
- Temple University Adjunct Faculty Handbook -- Created and maintained by the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Faculty Affairs
- CHPSW Promotion and Tenure Guidelines
Faculty have an abundant resources to assist them with managing and integrating technology into their research, teaching and service activity. Within CHPSW, the Technology and Information Management Division can assist faculty with a variety of request.
- Technology and Information Management - Services and assistance
Additionally, the Instructional Support Center (ISC) provides consulting services, training, and access to state-of-the-art computer equipment for use by Temple faculty and staff who are interested in incorporating technology into the teaching and learning process. The Center has certified instructional designers and technology instructors who will work with you in the design of technology enhanced courses, learning opportunities to expand computer productivity skills, media production services, and the exploration of technology to complement instruction and student learning.
- Instructional Support Center - Support and training
Office of Research
Research is critical to the mission of CHPSW. The Office of Research within CHPSW assists faculty with pre- and post-award research issues. A listing of faculty research interests can be accessed from the Office of Research. Faculty interested in pursuing funding should contact the Office of Research or the Director of Research Strategy. Important information related to internal deadlines for submission and post award services can be found at here.
Temple University provides a wealth of additional resources to help instructors further the education process.
- Writing Center - The Writing Center offers support for Temple University faculty who are incorporating writing assignments into their courses. In-class and consultation services are available.
- Instructional Support Center (ISC) - provides consulting services, training, and access to state-of-the-art computer equipment for use by Temple faculty and staff who are interested in incorporating technology into the teaching and learning process
- Disability Resources – This service provides assistance to faculty who have students with disabilities in their classes. A wide variety of resources are available to faculty to assist with understanding and addressing the diverse learning styles of persons with disabilities.