Congratulations to all of our CHPSW graduating students!
CHPSW Graduation May 2014
We extend our best wishes to all students who plan to graduate in May 2014 (i.e., after the spring semester), and offer the following reminders. Commencement and Graduation will take place on Thursday, May 15.
Applying for Graduation
If you are completing a degree in May 2014, you must apply for graduation in Self-Service Banner (SSB), accessible through the TUportal. Failure to apply will delay the awarding of your degree to a later semester.
If you applied for graduation in an earlier semester but you’re completing your degree in May 2014, you must re-apply in SSB for May graduation. There is no charge for graduation applications.
If you are not completing all your course requirements in May 2014, please do not apply for May graduation. If you are completing your requirements over the summer, you will be an August graduate and will apply for August graduation at the beginning of the summer.
Certain prospective August graduates may participate in the May 15 graduation ceremonies, which are described below. This participation is generally known as “walking.” Undergraduates who have no more than 8 credits or 2 courses to complete over the summer may petition to “walk.” Some graduate students finishing coursework over the summer will also be eligible to “walk.” We will let students at both levels know very soon how to submit a petition to “walk.” Petitions will be reviewed by departmental and college administration, and you will be notified if your petition is approved.
Please note that if you “walked” in earlier graduation ceremonies, you will not be permitted to participate a second time.
The deadline for application for May 2014 graduation is Saturday, February 15, 2014. Please note this deadline and apply beforehand! To apply on SSB, please do the following:
- In SSB, look at your student information and check that the expected graduation date is correct.
- Next in SSB, select Student → Student Records → Apply to Graduate.
- Upon accessing the graduation application, verify that the correct degree and program are indicated.
If the expected graduation date, degree, or program (majors, minors, certificates, concentrations) is incorrect, please do not apply right away. First, contact your departmental advisor or student services coordinator, who will make sure that the proper paperwork is submitted to correct the information. When the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) confirms via e-mail that a change of program has been completed for you, return to SSB to submit your application.
- While applying, you will be asked to provide a name that will appear on your diploma and a mailing address for the diploma, which will be mailed six to eight weeks after January degrees are awarded. Students are responsible for ensuring that their names and addresses are listed correctly on the application for graduation. When submitting your online application, please review the “diploma name” and the mailing address. If you identify information that needs modification before or after you submit your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and staff in the Office of the University Registrar will help you correct the information.
- If you encounter technical difficulty submitting your application online, and your graduation date, degree, and program are correct, you should also contact email@example.com for assistance.
After you submit your application, you can review it by clicking View Application to Graduate, just below Apply to Graduate in SSB. If you see your application, this confirms that it has been properly submitted.
If you have questions about fulfilling the academic requirements for the degree or if you have any incompletes or unresolved transfer credits, please speak with your advisor, program director, or student services coordinator before submitting the graduation application.
- Certain holds on your records can prevent you from receiving your diploma or transcript (i.e., your full Temple academic record that is the official confirmation of your degree). Please check on SSB whether you have holds and resolve them as soon as possible with the appropriate office.
May graduates are encouraged to participate in the university and college graduation ceremonies on Thursday, May 15. Information on the university Commencement ceremony at 10:00 a.m. is available here. Information on the CHPSW graduation ceremony at 7:00 p.m. will be posted here soon. Both ceremonies will be held in the Liacouras Center.
Please note that at the university Commencement, you will not be recognized individually by “walking” across the stage to greet the Dean of CHPSW; that will take place at the CHPSW ceremony.
For more information
If you have other questions about graduation not addressed in these reminders, on the Commencement website, or at the OUR website, please contact Mark Rohland, Assistant Director for Student Records, CHPSW, at firstname.lastname@example.org.